Ms. Figueiredo-Strydom’s second through fourth grade Title I students at Holy Family Catholic are
- learning about,
- reading, and
- finally, responding to Fiction and Nonfiction books.
To start with, the students identified the nature of fiction and nonfiction books. They also identified categories within them.
Then the students responded to the literature using various methods of responding.
Identifying Fiction and Nonfiction
Students Respond to Fiction
Among the fictional books the second through fourth graders read included the following:
- The Woodcutters and the Mermaid by Samuel Valentino.
- Soccer Sam, a Step into Reading book by Jean Marzollo.
- Going to School.
Students Respond to Nonfiction
The Title I students also read nonfiction books. Included in their reading were books such as the following ones:
- A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr. by David A. Adler.
- A Picture Book of Christopher columbus by David A. Adler.
- Recess at 20 Below by Cindy Lou Aillaud.
- Sharks, a Reading Discovery book.