Ms. Lloyd’s Star of the Sea Catholic School Pre-K, Kindergarten, and First Grade students in Title I haven’t seen any snow at the beach this year. Nevertheless, they have been reading all about it in snowy stories.
The books they have read include the following ones:
- The Snowy Day,
- Snow Friends,
- Sneezy the Snowman,
- The Jacket I Wear in the Snow and
- There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow by Lucille Colandro.
The activities shown below all relate to the last book, There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow.
The Pre-K, Kindergarten and First Grade student practiced the following skills while reading the snowy stories:
- identifying rhyming words,
- discussing cause and effect, and
- identifying setting and characters,
In addition, the Title I students all practiced retelling the sequence of events from the story using the fun felt story board pieces.
Working with partners the students retold the story placing the story pictures in the correct order.
Kindergarten then used the story board to create their own take home books to read to their families after buddy reading in the classroom.
First Grade students responded in writing to the following prompts:
- What do you think the cold lady will swallow next? Why?
- What was your favorite part of the story? Why?